Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Letting Go Of The Past

I think it was Dale Carnegie and he sort of said something about the past has happened - you can't do anything about, the future isn't here yet so why worry about it and live in the day as you can control that everything else is beyond your ability to control - I feel that is a pretty awful paraphrasing but hopefully you get the gist?

So here's the point, the past, the stuff that haunts me sometimes is the past, it's history, it's happened, I can't do anything about it.  That is a fact.  I may regret some things but I can't go and undo them, they have happened.  There is no need to worry and no regrets about them.  Let go, leave alone, move along (nothing to see here).  

Where I find myself now, today, in the present is due to the past but that's it, there's nothing I can do about it but to deal with it today and just get on with things.  It's not meant to be enigmatic but perhaps you can see that finally, at last I'm drawing a line under the past and saying enough is enough. You, Cancer, have taken your payment and I don't owe you anything anymore.  I don't owe you my life, my attention or my reflection.  I am what I am today and that's where I've got to start from.  I can't bemoan the fact that I was a different person back then as it isn't particularly productive.

I'm beginning to find an inner peace with myself and a contentment with who I am.  I realise how bad things were only by the fact that I have reawakened interests and feelings long buried.  I am starting to enjoy reading again and music.  Long may this continue and expand.

I've got the now to deal with and whilst I have an eye to the future I will not forget the other Dale Carnegie saying (or something like this) "Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!" damn right why worry...   

No comments: