Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Careful of what you eat

It's interesting that at the moment my weight loss has stalled and I'm around 15 stone down from 18 1/2 in 7 months now - but I've been hovering around 15 for a while.  Interestingly this is quite common and one thing is strange is that I'm still losing weight around my stomach (it's tightening up) but it is possible that muscle mass is replacing the fat.  So that's OK and apparently it is quite normal.  I'd like to be a lot lighter than I am but at the moment I'm not as disciplined either and cheat day no longer exists as it used to.  I just occasionally have a chocolate biscuit or a Latte or Cappuccino or perhaps a bit of bread.  However, it is often small and rare.  A beer every now and then as well.

However, none of the above are in any major quantity nor at any great frequency and I still take care what I eat when I'm out etc.

Today I found that Ham and Salami both of which I'd always taken for granted were OK to consume are in fact not.  I tend to have a light lunch these days or Ham and/or salami or other meat cuts, a few Olives, a little cheese and a little salad with some Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar.  I looked at the packs today.  Salami has Glucose Syrup in it and Ham has Dextrose.  This is where the food industry needs to get a grip surely.  They know that sugar is addictive and they add it into our everyday foods.  So it looks as if I need to re-think that strategy and just go back to basics again on my lunch.  Breakfast still tends to be egg based in the main with mushrooms and every now and then bacon and occasionally a tomato.  

Just thought I'd warn you about things you never thought you'd find in basic foods.  It's frightening what is in these packages.  It's like Fructose in pickles which I used to enjoy.  Someone ought to be held accountable for making us fat and introducing all these carbs and sugars into our food and saying it's good for us!  

No comments: