Friday, July 24, 2026

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today

 It was twenty years ago today,
Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play.
They’ve been going in and out of style,
But they’re guaranteed to raise a smile.
So may I introduce to you the act you’ve known for all these years?
Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Well not quite.  It was on a very hot day that I went with my then wife to the Hospital to have the operation that probably saved my life.  Diagnosed on the Friday I was on the list on Monday and I went to the hospital and waited almost all day until they got me in.  Nil By Mouth and I was a bit dehydrated by the time they finally saw me.

People tell you how hot it is at the moment but it was just as hot and they (my wife and family) brought in a fan from home to blow over me as I was recovering from the operation.  Trapped in bed wired up was not pleasant especially as they built the hospital without AC!  Anyway, 20 years already, it hardly seems believable.

In other news, I've been noticing something strange with my eyesight for perhaps 3 or 4 months I guess but becoming noticeable over the last 4 weeks.  I managed to get to my optician as they had a spare appointment and blow me down, my vision has changed massively in the 18 months since I was last there.  The biggest change in all the years and I'm barely at the legal limit for driving!!!  So I won't be doing that until I get my new glasses which, apparently, will be quite a change as I now have long and nearsightedness.  I'll be looking it up shortly to see what that all means other than it is a massive shift.  A cataract is forming too.  The joys of getting old.

I'll have to monitor all of that then!

Anyway the main thing is that Bladder Cancer, in my case caught early albeit borderline late is survivable and is treatable.  Glad to still be here :-) 

No comments: