Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Future Treatment

I got a surprise yesterday.

The Urology Nurses always say that if we meet again that it is a GOOD thing as that means that you are on maintenance and can also tolerate the treatment. It means that they are keeping their eye on you. Maintenance (and I keep banging on about this) is where - if you are clear, you get 3 shots of BCG, they wait a period of time and you get a flexible cystoscopy and if still clear you get another 3 shots and wait a longer period and get another 3 and so on until it gets to a point that if you have had no recurrence in the gap in between (which is then measured in years) - you are nigh on cured.

So the surprise came when she said that I might not need any further treatments at all. Now that IS a surprise. I'm still of the opinion that I'll need them only because of the staging and grade of the original tumour. Whilst it was called "superficial" it was anything but.

I'll have to wait and see but no treatments just a peek and poke every 3 or 6 months. Given the working over I had yesterday, I can see that it would be nice not to but these odd days of getting the stuffing knocked out of you are actually doing you good.

Always thought it was a perverse thing to say that the stuff that was making you better does it by making you feel bad? Where was Mary Poppins when I needed her? Not that sugar in my medicine would have made it any better!

No comments: