Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Mixed Evening

I ended up going out and enjoying the evening but not enjoying some of the observations about me.

I've changed - there is no doubt about that. However, what I took away tonight was that my "clarity of vision" is perhaps not in every-one's comfort zone and not what everyone wants to hear. Not to every one's taste perhaps.

OOops.

I do tend to forget that I speak a language that I didn't even a year ago. Still English but a more direct version! Even at this time a year ago I only thought I might have cancer - I was still hoping it was a Kidney infection but deep down inside I knew what it really was. So - back to this language thing. I couldn't have coped with someone like me back then telling me about ramming things up my nether regions and all that blood and gore - I'd have had to excuse myself and leave the conversation as I'd have felt quite ill. I'd probably never have told people - to their face - how it was - how I felt - what I REALLY felt or whether I agreed with them or not. I was in those days a diplomat. I found out tonight that I probably don't do any of the "people friendly" or "politically correct" stuff anymore.

To some extent, there is a freedom piece in me that says - why bottle it up anymore, why be the "nice guy" when I have a new angle on things? Not that I am right, just that things to me look so different now that it doesn't matter? That, perhaps, is an over simplification of the thing I am trying to say. Which is (and I may change this subsequently):

  • That I am not entirely comfortable with the person I am at the moment. I am more brash, self assured and in your face than I ever have been. I'm pretty good at reading how things are and knowing how to tackle these but, it appears, that I now freely let people have the benefit of my insight.
  • That like it or not, there have been some major changes in the last 12 months that I don't see
  • I'm probably not the nicest person to be around anymore as I do things that please me not anyone else
  • Worse still that I probably don't give a sh1t about whether or not it matters (although I'm not sure I am that bad or that selfish).
I hate this sort of soul searching stuff. I know I'm a bit more outgoing, a bit more brash and a bit more likely to take a risk than I was before but I hadn't thought I had changed that much? Well obviously I have if I managed to p1ss my mate off tonight then maybe I have.

As much as I like to think that I've "learnt a thing or two" I'm actually quite injured to find that I might be upsetting people along the way. I do find myself stopping at the "shock" stuff these days. I honestly don't think it is that bad - I had a rough time of it yesterday but, it isn't that bad compared to what other people have to suffer.

I probably need to go and think all this through as it would disturb me if I was really like that.

No comments: