Friday, October 27, 2006

You also need a Intravenous Urogram (IVU or IVP) - whatever that may be!

"This test is also known as an intravenous pyelogram (IVP). It is done in the hospital x-ray department and takes about an hour.

A dye is injected into a vein, usually in the arm, and goes through the bloodstream to the kidneys. The doctor can watch the passage of the dye on an x-ray screen and see any abnormalities in the kidneys, bladder and the rest of the urinary system.

The dye will probably make you feel hot and flushed for a few minutes, but this feeling gradually disappears. You may feel some discomfort in your abdomen, but this will only be for a short time. You should be able to go home as soon as the test is over."'

Well I was meant to make an appointment on the day of the cystoscopy but I was hopping around trying to find a toilet :-) My wife sorted it out whilst I was doing that. Eventually the X-ray could not be performed before the operation as you have to clear yourself out before you have it.

I had the X-Ray after my operation and if I'd have known how rotten I was going to feel before and during it, I'm not sure I would have gone through with it. I have never had to take laxatives before. So a few days after my operation (sorry this is slightly out of sequence) was crazy to do this so we moved it to a few weeks afterwards. For two days I had to almost starve and also take these laxatives which really were horrible. The tests take about an hour which is fine but they have to put a cannula in your arm (so much for an injection) and the dye was as stated warm and a slight sting. The X-Rays comprise a series of shots as the iodine works its way through your kidneys and to your bladder. That was OK but I really did feel rough perhaps because I was post operative and there is perhaps a bit more to understand around that too. I was also hardly recovered from all the prodding and jabs and everything else so perhaps that didn't help.

Don't let me put you off though. It is absolutely necessary to check that the cancer isn't in your Kidneys and the tubes connecting to your bladder. There was an interesting result too which I will share with you later!!

No comments: