Wednesday, August 19, 2026

My Mind Works In A Most Mysterious Way Sometimes

 I think I probably documented it somewhere here around 13 or 14 years ago I'd guess, I had my lovely X-Type Jaguar in for an MOT (roadworthy testing) and they'd told me that the offside rear wheel tyre needed changing as it had got the beginnings of perishing on the inner wall.

I took it to my trustworthy tyre man and he jacked the car up and took a look and said no, everything was alright.  A bit perplexed I went home and at 3 in the morning I woke up and said, that wasn't the offside that was the nearside he looked at.  It was amusing when I drove back in and said Id had a dream about him overnight, he gave me an old fashioned look but then I explained that he examined the nearside and not the offside and sure enough this time we found it and fixed it.

I realte this story because I recently sold some items on a site called NextDoor and the chap who came to buy them got the time wrong then when he arrived proceeded to show me his lag that he was having treatment for that made him a bit woosy and was one of the reasons he'd got the time wrong as he was on powerful antibiotics and painkillers. But here's the thing, he then said that his wing mirror had been hit in the lane - we live in a very narrow lane, and he showed me the wreckage held together with an elastic luggage tie.  I showed him where my car had been hit too and that I'd used eBay to source the parts.  He then said that his van side had been hit too.  He partially pleased poverty and we agreed to drop the price a little which I was expecting, it was priced for that.

I woke this morning and there it was again, it was his nearside mirror and bodywork that was affected so he'd have to have been driving on the wrong side of the road or hit something himself unless it was perhaps done whilst parked which he actually said he was driving and the other chap didn't stop!  So we can draw some conclusions from that - perhaps he'd been driving on the wrong side of our lane - possible I suppose, he actually hit something when avoiding a car or van coming down the lane as it was nearside he probably hit something in the hedgerow or one of the posts?  There's no way he could have driven normally and lost his nearside mirror otherwise. 

It takes me a while but suddenly these details click together and so my mind must have been trying to work out that there was something obviously wrong and the impact on the wrong side was obviously giving my head a problem.  Sorted now.... 

No comments: