Monday, June 25, 2007

Here we go - treatment No.4

I am just about to go into my ritual for this lot of treatment. I've had an early lunch and stopped drinking at midday. Treatment is due at 2 - so far it hasn't happened on time except for week 1 when it was near enough. This week I should be first in the queue as the other two guys were on three shot maintenance. If all goes well then that is what I should be on I hope in November of this year.

This lot marks the beginning of the downhill stretch. 2/3rds of the way through the treatment and it will be 4 down and 2 to go. It is a funny old thing really. The next 24 hours are bizarre if you were to be a fly on the wall. I get the treatment get home and my wife has a kitchen timer she puts around her neck. I lie down on one side and after 15 minutes the timer goes and I hear "Turn over" which I do and so on for a hour. The timer brrring away every 15 minutes. At the end of that hour I have a piece of toast and I drink a glass of cranberry or some such stuff, some water and have two paracetamol and two ibuprofen. I then have a further hour lying around (roughly) and can then go to the toilet.

There the bizarre ritual of putting bleach in the toilet and keeping everything else scrupulously clean goes on for about 6 hours. Luckily we have a toilet downstairs as I try and keep this one off limits because the BCG is pretty nasty stuff by all accounts.

With that - I must go and get ready now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why do you take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen and not one single pain killer

valbri

A Dived Ref said...

Two reasons.

1. That is what they gave me (together) at the Hospital and if I remember rightly - one is good as an anti inflammatory and the other as a pain killer.

2. You can take the Paracetamol at four hour intervals - you can also take the Ibuprofen at 4 hour intervals meaning that if things get bad then you can do what I did yesterday and have the 2 paracteamol then two hours later 2 Ibuprofen and that allows you to have some sort of pain killers every 2 hours.

Alright this morning but there was a lot of reaction yesterday so I needed all the help I could get.