Sunday, November 09, 2008

How your mind works

Tonight a good friend showed me some photos of his party 17 years ago.

I did and didn't recognise him. You see how he looks to me today is how he has always looked.

Not sure if that makes sense but that is how it is or was to me. You see, my father and my Uncles have always looked like their most recent pictures. You don't notice the passage of time even over quite long periods.

Tonight we were reminded that some of the people I knew when I was initiated into the Lodge 26 or so years ago are in fact very old men now. They are frail and in their late 70s and 80s but they have always looked liked they are tonight....

I do not recognise the passage of time with my friends that I meet a lot - we all grow older together.

My friends photographs of 17 years ago were so different and he looked SO young it was almost impossible to reconcile with how I remember him. To me he looks today like he looked then.

The mind does some interesting tricks in this respect n'est pas?

No comments: