Monday, December 05, 2011

The D Word

Quite a debate going on about men and how they tend not to seek help for Depression. I'm guessing that unless you are fully aware of the signs it would sneak up on you a bit.

It is pretty common in Cancer patients - you have all sorts of things going on at all sorts of times and in no particular logical sequence sometimes and occasionally, like now, you'll just not be your usual self or be a bit angry or a bit withdrawn, noticeably so I find. I know that right now I am struggling with slowing down. I've earned it but somehow I'm finding internal arguments going on. Stuff along the lines that I should be "doing something" when there is little to actually do. That I should be trying to make stuff happen but it is out of my hands and therefore my control (there's a problem - control!) and it has been a month since we initially kicked off this stage of the business - it's like watching paint dry or being stuck in the doldrums. I should be using this time for myself but that really is a struggle as I am wanting to be ready should the phone ring or an email come in but of course, no one else moves at that speed. I have answering machines and don't actually need to do these things. It's plain daft.

So back to Depression - it is hovering a little way off at the moment but it is floating around and it is a build up - there's my dad - not wanting to give myself more time to think about what has to be, again no control, I can't stop it being what it will be. There's time - OK I have time but trying to find spare time in that time to get organised and go up and see my dad again before Christmas (if I can) adds a level of stress and then there are loads of things that just aren't concerns at all nagging away at me - I need to just clear the decks and recharge and - I'm just working on that at the moment. Lots of things are cleared down - all Christmas Cards are written and no stamped up ready to send - 99% of presents are wrapped and ready to go. I get the accounts signed off tonight for 2 Lodges and so on but I guess it is so hard to stop being at such a high peak of activity pulling up as suddenly as we have done. I just need to remember that everyone else I am dealing with isn't working at 100 miles per hour as I am and I need to slow down to their pace.

No comments: