Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Obesity is a disease in the US. Should it be?

Obesity is a disease in the US. Should it be?

This was today's health headline in the BBC News and it should be shocking everyone because it doesn't need to be this way.  Here is a link to a web site and there are 5 videos on here that I'd recommend to everyone.  The first one explains a lot about why obesity exists and how it came about.  The graphs of obesity should make everyone sit up and think - smell the coffee or whatever simile you need.

Link to DIETDOCTOR. Now there are lots of websites and lots of positions on this matter and I've gone and done my homework and read my books, hell I'm even pulling my own blood out and testing it and I hate having needles shoved in me.  But here's the thing, if the world has got obese and diabetes has increased and heart disease and goodness knows what else and that's only really happened in the last half century then is it a disease or is it something that's to do with our food?  What's the likelihood that you can catch this?  What do you think the likelihood of changing your eating habits and finding that you can lose weight might be?

This is a definite Occam's Razor thing surely?  SOme chap in the 1970s tells us what the healthy diet it, we all follow this advice and blow me down if obesity rates shoot up and diabetes takes over.  We are all terrified of fat and protein and yet this is probably the best stuff for us because that's how we evolved.  Eating stuff that's promoted by big food corporations?  I wonder whose interests they serve.  It's a bit like the Tobacco inquiries and them telling us it wasn't addictive.  Here's another thing, if you got obesity levels down and diabetes became less and less prevalent do you think the drugs industry might find it a hard pill to swallow (or not)???  

Ever met a guy from the drugs industry?  Do you think they actually want to "Cure" people or are they there to manage the symptoms? Think about it?

Before you accuse me of being the greatest conspiracy theorist you ever met just ask yourself about the evidence.  You'll not find it easily accessible and everything you think you know has been told to you through your own Government's nutritional advice.  Somewhere along the line the message is that artificial carbohydrates (sugars) are good for you and they form the bottom of our food chain - the foundation of our Western Diet is now carbohydrates and sugars.  Highly addictive, non natural things that we make.  Add to that the Fructose and how that screws with your body and it's no wonder to me that all these problems exist.

However a great job has been done by Government, Health professionals and the like.  When I talk to many people about food they are convinced that eating fat for example will make you fat. They think that eating bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and the like is part of a balanced diet.  There's no such thing as a balanced diet its all made up by the authorities.  Do you think our ancestors were running around hunting and gathering and coming up with stuff like "No, we need to let that Mammoth get away, we've already had sufficient fat and protein this week" we are evolved to eat as and when we found it or gathered ot or killed it.  Do you think ancient man had Florida Oranges all year around? Of course not.  

Man has been farming for around 10,000 years.  He's been in existence for around 2,500,000 years at least.  I make that for 0.4% of his existence he's lived on carbs as well as meats.  However I doubt he ever had this all year round and it was nowhere near as processed as it is today.  Fruit was available in season as were seeds and berries.  Towards the end of the year this stuff would appear and man would have as much as possible.  Guess what happened?  With winter approaching and the body unable to eat all this stuff it stored it.  How does the body store excess fuel?  As fat and Insulin is the key component here it knows it can't use it all but the body may need it and so sticks it, in the form of fat for future use.

Insulin recognises carbohydrates and acts to move them into storage.  Your insulin levels go up and then you want more carbs because they are addictive it's a horrible cycle but you can break it.  Moving away from carbohydrates is difficult but I've done it and now I'm over 3 stone lighter and feel great for it.  I've slightly plateaued but that was because I wasn't eating enough fat and a little too much protein - it looks as if this is working now and with a little exercise I'm actually getting some shape to my body again and my muscles around my stomach area are beginning to feel tight and overall I feel tip top.

I really want to be in a position to challenge my doctors in say 6 to 9 months I'd like to be off statins and all the other tablets for high blood pressure.  Generally my BP readings are coming down but have recently gone back up - I've just found out why - but not prepared to state at this particular time - but now I know what has done that I can manage the results accordingly.

No comments: