Thursday, June 07, 2012

Ray Bradbury

Has passed away today at the age of 91.  I read Fahrenheit 451 but my real love was the Martian Chronicles or the Locusts or Mars (I think it was called).  It was one of only a few books that took me away from where I was and opened things up.  Other books must include Lord of The Rings, The Gormenghast Trilogy, the regeneration Trilogy and perhaps Wilt by Tom Sharpe (strangely enough) were life changing works.


I still prefer historical books and I still think that Martin Gilbert's History of the 20th Century is just an amazing piece of work.  Add to that the House by the Thames and London a Biography and Cromwell our Chief of Men and you can keep me chatting all night long.  I will not do that.  I will however suggest that if you haven't read the Martian Chronicles that you should do so.  There is something hauntingly beautiful in the prose and like Gormenghast the words flow off the page and pull you in to a wonderful world - far more enchanting than Rowling's Harry Potter, far deeper and far darker and yet somehow beautiful.  


How I admire the ability of these authors who produce literature that you can easily read, immerse yourself in and enjoy.  I enjoy it for "what it is" and find the sniping critics don't appreciate the effort that has gone in to convey the story (whether fiction or factual).  To capture your reader and take them on a page turning roller coaster of a journey is a magical gift indeed.  I just wished I possessed half of their talent and might be able to properly express myself using correct English Grammar would be half of the fight :-)


We should mourn the passing of great artists like Bradbury who's imagination and writing were unbounded by present day constraints.  I now need to go find the Martian Chronicles and re read it - I'm sure that I will not be disappointed.

No comments: