Friday, June 08, 2012

Nerves kicking in

I wasn't expecting to be a little nervous - but there you go, I can feel the nerves kicking in and I still haven't quite got my words right and so I'm working on those today - I have decided that today is all about getting it right.  I've written my speech but I'm not really that happy about it at the moment, it doesn't quite flow, I have to make some subtle adjustments to emphasis and also just get the few funnies right - it's a big audience and so I need to be just above subtle but not in your face - working on that now :-)


I'd like to do my speech without notes but I've never done that before unless it has been an off the cuff performance which this never was going to be.  Now I need to make sure I have all the necessary things ready - suit, tie, waistcoat, shoes are clean and so on - take some glasses so I can read my script and ensure that all the paperwork I need is available.  


I just need to be myself, enjoy the day and make sure that I meet and greet everyone and work the room.  It will be difficult as I'll be centre of attention for the day - I just need to ensure that my guests all look after each other as I will be somewhat swamped with people wanting to congratulate me and vie for my attention - I should be in my element but actually I never really enjoyed it that much.

No comments: