Saturday, June 25, 2011

What you forget is people die of this

And here is a one such story - Nick Charles of CNN - probably far better known to my American Cousins than known over here but another victim of Bladder Cancer. He only had it 2 years.

Sometimes I want to get to the point of saying - "do you realise I could have died of this?" but I don't. A lot of the time that's stored away out of mind - it's not good to dwell on such stuff apart from the occasional "There but by the grace of God go I" moment. I tend not to think of it too much but occasionally a story like this comes along and it just pulls you up a bit, enough to make you stop and think and reflect.

A lot of people thought I was going to be fine, a number weren't sure and a number (I think) thought I was going to die. Luckily for me then that I am where I am right now - I guess remission isn't the right word but Cancer Free is.

Spare a thought for the Charles family and all who have lost loved ones through this pernicious disease but also celebrate the many of us who survive through the wonders of modern medicine, the dedication of researchers, nurses and medical staff.

I perhaps need to remember that people die of this and pay a little more respect to my condition than I sometimes do. I'm a lucky guy, I'm alive, I'm healthy and I've survived Cancer in my Bladder.

No comments: