Friday, June 24, 2011

Body Shock

As described to me yesterday by my colleague. It isn't just the chemicals they pump into you, it's that your body has been invaded by plastic and metal objects, you've been attached to machines and goodness knows what they do to you once your under. I have the usual shaved thigh where they attach the grounding strap - when they cut away a piece of your bladder it's done electrically and the connection on your thigh makes the circuit. It cauterises as it goes - clever. One shaved thigh takes a bit of explaining though :-)

Then there's the stress of going in and the stress of anticipation about what they'll find. I was sure it was precancerous or very low grade beginnings of a tumour. That was answered very quickly but even so, you are probably a lot more stressed out that you think you are and you have also spent time managing that stress and managing the situation - I had music that I'd chosen and spent some time loading onto MP3 players, charging electronic gadgets, getting ready to go in and possibly stay in and so on.

The only person who is surprised that I'm not really firing on all cylinders and that dear reader is me :-) Only I don't get it and that's just typical. I suppose that's just me - I make no allowances for myself and perhaps I ought to. I barely realise how ill I must have been these past 5 years. Poorly, I'll grant you but gravely or seriously ill - is something I've tried not to think about or allow into my thought process. It's actually caught up with me a few times. A bit like now how I feel and how I am are two entirely different things.

No comments: