Friday, September 13, 2013

Ideas Settling In Now

I am trying to think about what to do next and for many years I have had a business and not really launched it.  I've got close sometimes but never really did it.  I was always worried that I was "blowing it up my own a***".   By that I mean that was I really being realistic about the job, making a case that wasn't there?  After all it is a lifestyle type business (genealogical research) practised, in the main, by professional researchers and very keen amateurs but only a few have what I would call a professional look and feel to their web sites.

Well, I have been giving it some attention because it is difficult to know whether to just push the boat out and go for it - which I probably should have done 5 years ago when i first formulated the ideas.  I am just doing the math (USA) maths (UK) to see if it can give me a living and that to me is actually all I want.  Food and warmth and so on.  It needs to make a fair amount but in many ways I want it to be something that I love doing, that will give me a flexible and interesting job and one that I can bring my experience to and thereby use that (35 years worth) to build a business that will attract sufficient customers to employ me.

Well - that is the idea and I have 4 or 5 years of notes and ideas to work through this weekend.  I then need to discuss some subcontracting with some friends and thus provide extra value through my site.  I have other ideas in place as well and just need to get my A*** into gear, get myself working in an office type way and also to put my back into this, my heart and soul and to concentrate on building a business that will be able to provide a living in the long term.  Sure it will take time to do that but I am sure that it is viable but I just need to complete those checks to make sure that I really am not being delusional and that I'm not running with my ego or some baseless dream.  The more I think about it, the more I'm sure I can make this happen.

No comments: