Sunday, August 30, 2009

Insomnia and Bad Dreams

Interestingly for some reason the dreams I tend to get appear to be memorable only around about the time I go into hospital or have treatments. I suppose my mind is going ten to the dozen at such times.

It is the early hours of the morning and I was dozing away and suddenly there were flash backs of the time the children were small and trips we did then and some flash backs way before then to a place I cannot have been to for 40 years or more, just remembering the heat and smells of a late summer day on a walk when I was young. Now I'm saying they are bad dreams and now describing them they don't appear to be that bad but they have stirred up questions that I don't like the sound of much. Big doubting questions about what I've done with my time here on the planet and whether those good times with the children could have been better, could I have done more, did they enjoy it and a raft of other strange feelings about the past.

Now the trouble is that the past is the past and in general terms whilst there are some regrets, in reality, what is done is done and I can't change any of it and I'm not normally troubled too much by the past once I've dismissed it and moved past it. A bit like I was saying a week or so ago that the holiday was about the experience and not necessarily the photographs I brought back. The moment was the thing.

Anyhow, not that it matters much as I'm sat here at my PC in the early hours and I'm wondering quite what on earth all that lot was about. I'm sure there is some strange lesson in all of this but I'm blowed if I can work out what it is. I'm guessing it is just another part of the territory. Perhaps it has something to do with the series of cancer programmes that have been running this week on the TV or perhaps it is something else in my subconscious trying to make itself heard. Well I suppose I've heard it - I just need to interpret it and understand it next I guess.

No comments: