Friday, August 28, 2009

On reflection

I've been doing an awful lot of reflecting lately. The premise that this could be clear really is another step in the right direction. There aren't any treatments on the horizon as I've had my maintenance and finished that around about September last year. This set of biopsies they said looked clear and this time there was no red patches or angry marks left in my bladder (that they actually mentioned - normally they do) and so the out patient appointment should be something that I will actually enjoy going to.

There remains what is the next steps in the ongoing observations stage and whether or not these full biopsies (which I read the other day are the "gold standard" for staging, grading and observing) are going to continue and if so at what frequency and for how long. I'm bracing myself that these are for life until they find some other way of sorting this out.

So what's changed? Well it is most peculiar really as I've now got a bit of a hole in my life where bladder cancer used to be and I'm suddenly getting back to my old self in terms of getting things done and getting back on top of my time management. Stuff that I thought had changed a long time ago for good is returning and most markedly the want to shake off the apathetic part of the changes I've had and get back to being a little more organised and a little more proactive.

Additionally there is this urge to do something again. I considered going back and finishing off my University Course but that can wait I think. Whilst I really enjoyed it, I can't see that I want to have that level of commitment right now. I'm getting involved in more getting out and about. I'm off to Lincoln soon and can drop into my parents on the way home and then off down to the depths of Kent/Sussex a week after that. I actually fancy a 6 month vacation but I doubt that will happen. I don't feel like making my working arrangement permanent in fact I'd like to cut back and only do a few days a week although I can't think why.

Yes - a very strange period indeed as everything feels OK but isn't. I feel that I could quite easily just walk away from here and go off and do some wandering for a while and additionally other stuff that used to be important just doesn't seem to be so now. There's an opportunity to go crew a boat through a friend of mine - that would be 6 weeks or so and all I have to do is find my food and beer money. I was sorely tempted to go and do that - it just seems a great thing to do at this moment, just get away from everything and just take some time to myself and redefine what is important and what I now want to do.

I have to say that I find this quite an unexpected outcome after all, it has only been 2 weeks since my operation but the news that perhaps the worrying part is over may just be what has triggered this next phase off. It will be interesting to see if it is just a set of feelings or whether I do actually end up doing something about it?

No comments: