Monday, August 31, 2009

What am I doing here?

A question we may all ask ourselves from time to time I suppose? Recently it is one of those questions that invades my mind when I let it and then I can't get rid of the damn thing. Last night it must have been 2 am before I finally went off to sleep as my mind was racing around trying to work out what on earth is going on at the moment.

I actually started for a very short time to feel sorry for myself or more like it started to realise what I'd been through these past three years. Then I considered that what I thought might be a sort of freedom isn't actually that at all. Just remission (maybe "just" isn't the right word in that context). Any sort of remission is good what I meant was that it would be a constant for the rest of my life and that is when I wondered if I'd be strong enough - for the rest of my life - to continue going into Hospital, having operations and so on. There must be a point when you say "enough is enough"?

Anyway, it appears to be the time for reflection and formulating plans to go forward. My mind is full of crazy stuff like give up work, go on a year's sabbatical, see the world, do something locally, give up anything that smacks of organising other people's lives and so on. It's just a feeling to get away and get some me time and try and re assess, re prioritise and re arrange my life and my brain. The plans that I had three years ago that had been formulated over many years had a different direction. I've done lots of short term tactical things to live through the last three years and swerved in and out of ideas and schemes and as a previously well organised person, I'm living a less than organised life (although perhaps a little more settled routine wise). I think I'm through that now and suddenly there is the opportunity of having the last 1/3 of my working life doing something different to what I've done before.

No comments: