Sunday, July 03, 2011

Depression the D Word

I was reading another blog and a fellow sufferer has just gone through one of these dark troughs of despair and is coming out of it. Stuff like "the world without me" and other subject matter was almost a precursor to a very quiet blog and the need to be cheered up but not lectured to.

These days the Black Dog doesn't come visiting me much anymore. I used to get huge swings and ups and downs and I don't tend to get that bad. It's pretty horrible and also debilitating you feel physically bad as well.

Today, perhaps the most obvious (to me) fall out is the emotional response I get to seeing anyone hurt, physically or emotionally and it doesn't even need to be real - I can feel it in fictional characters too.

I don't ever think that I was "hard as nails" in the way I was but lots of stuff bounced off me and I wouldn't be affected by it. Now I'm a blubbering wreck sometimes (when I'm on my own) but can also still be pretty effective at the logical, calm sort it out person to start with. It depends on what that was I was sorting out depends on how I feel afterwards.

Anyway - it is difficult to describe it other than more emotional than I ever used to be but additionally a lot better than I used to be too.

So depression? It was an unfortunate part of the process of getting better and one that I imagine you probably have to go through I can't imagine that many would consider it has an upside but I think to go through it you appreciate quite how debilitating it is to others and can therefore empathise with them and it can give you insights into yourself that you probably didn't have before. It's scary as hell sometimes and it's black and dire and not at all a nice place to be. It leaves you tired and weak and emotional and it stops you being you. When you get out of it and that's scariest of all (what if you don't get out of it) things look a lot better but there are lessons you can learn about yourself along the way. You just need to analyse them and to act on them.

I was considering some of the other areas that suffered too. Relationships, friends, family, work colleagues. Then there's my Claustrophobia which has really gotten bad now although I can "manage" it - I do find it still causes me trouble. Getting in a lift on Tuesday was a case in point but luckily they had people managing the process which was good. If I can avoid trains and the tube (underground/metro) then I will too. I've always had this but never had it as bad as it is now.

I find hot places / rooms difficult as I am still feeling these "hot flushes" or I just feel hotter generally. Stick me in a hot place and I really dislike it.

Sleep patterns are still all over the place but that could also be work - as I work from home you can merge work and home and also the mind is racing when doing this level of planning.

Fear - there's a constant nag that every ailment you get is cancer. Don't ask me why, it just happens like that, ouch twinge in knee (cancer), sore mouth (cancer), cough (cancer) etc. Now I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if this a direct reaction to having had cancer? It does appear to me to be a bit of a strange thing that happens.

I suppose though that the bottom line is that I'm pretty much fixed now and that this roller coaster of a journey hasn't just been about finding, diagnosing, staging, removing, treatment and following up the cancer I've had. What you don't get to realise is that there is another experience that you get along the way which includes a physical and mental one that runs in parallel. Add to that the way that relationships change and who your friends really are, who go, stay and new ones and then how people treat you. Then there's your family and their reaction - some good some bad to deal with and perhaps after all of this you realise that there is far, far more to getting cancer than dealing with that on its own.

It's not surprising that every now and then you'd get a little depressed now is it?

No comments: