Saturday, July 23, 2011

Holding back

On calling too often at the moment and will have 'normal' phone call with my Mum tomorrow morning. Will see what they've been up to and see what I can or cannot do at this time. I think that keeping things like they normally are is probably better than calling every day etc.

It's a bit strange dealing with someone in my family being ill - the last major illness before mine was my nephew and niece who both got Diabetes but hers was pretty serious as she almost died. That's got to be about 15 years ago now I suppose. Anyway, what I mean is my immediate family because I'm the sick one really. 11 Operations when I was a kid, rushed in sometime ago with possible heart attack (which proved not to be), a couple of A&Es when I got my nose broken in a cricket match (not by the ball but when the idiot let go of the bat!), once when I fell down some stairs and once when I got my lip split. And of course the 30 odd times I've been in and out in the past 5 years. So dealing with someone else being ill should be easy for me :-)

I doubt it will be. I'm 110 miles away and at least a 2 1/2 hour journey from them which makes for an interesting problem about going up to see them and when etc. So whatever happens in the next however long it is going to be isn't going to be particularly easy to sort out logistics wise - I just need to wait and see.

I also realise that I know a lot about my particular subject matter and I'm also not certain that I will actually be of any "help" at this time, time when they need to work out for themselves what they want to do and also time to get their thinking right about it too. I've got to tread a careful path between their needs and mine. No one got involved in my illness and so I need to make sure that I don't get involved in theirs. That's sounds a bit awful but all I mean is that as well intentioned as I may feel my help may be, it's not my place to do that uninvited and unwanted. I also have to be very careful about my own health in getting that involved.

On a happier note L arrived home after being away for a week and she had a good time away. She is growing up really fast - it's most strange that suddenly she isn't a school girl any more and she will soon go to University, she just appears to have grown from one to the other in a few weeks.

No comments: