Saturday, July 02, 2011

5 - it's a magic number

Yes - 5 years - the 5 year survival rate and here are the UK survival rates - suffice it to say that age, prognosis and other factors also play a part in all this. I don't suppose I really knew that much early on and so like many who are diagnosed wondered just how long I'd last and early on, faced up to death - stared it in the face and decided that I'd say "no thanks". I was almost 48 and on the eve of my 49th birthday. So age was on my side, I did have a high grade cancer but it hadn't gotten outside of the bladder so in reality, as long as they could cut that out and control it so it was contained then they'd be able to save me and that they did.

The main thing is that I'm here now and thanks to the wonders of modern medicine and science and the skill of my Consultant and her team. I look back on 5 years and I'm amazed how far I've come and let me tell you how pleased I am to be here still! :-)

5 Years - it hardly seems possible....

No comments: