Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Just when you thought you'd had your fill of bad news

I got a call from my Mum saying that my brother's mother in law had died today. She had been suffering from metastasised cancer and last year called a halt to treatment - she had had enough of it - and I can fully understand how that would be. We all knew that this was likely and a week ago she stopped eating, went into hospital yesterday and died this morning. Poor old T, my brother, he's dealing with Mum and Dad and now this. The amazing thing is that the funeral could be tomorrow, they live in France - apparently that's normal! The father-in-law himself (I believe) a cancer survivor, will bring the ashes back to the UK. T and his wife can't drop everything and be over there and Dad is in hospital tomorrow morning and T is taking him.

I'm left here not being able to help out on this. Spoke to mum and this news isn't exactly helping matters of course. Dad also has to have a scan that looks outwards rather than one that is scanned inwards. This is pretty new I believe and let's hope that all these things will sort him out one way or the other. If nothing else tomorrow let's hope they open things up and get rid of the jaundice.

I kind of feel a little helpless being all these miles away but I remind myself that I've lived in this area almost all of my life and it was my parents and and brother who moved away from here. I suppose I ought to get my guilt trip over and done with quickly. If my parents had been living here and my brother elsewhere I would have been doing the driving and all that.

No comments: