Monday, March 25, 2013

That WAS a LONG Week :-)

I love my mum a lot we get on well but a whole week strained things a little :-)  We don't share quite the same ideology and politics and my mum is always full of well meaning suggestions and ideas but it can wear you down with me finally having to say (like I often do on Facebook) "Stop keep telling me what to do"  it reminds me a bit of  Harry Enfield's character below "you don't want to do it like that!"  So if you can imagine that whatever I might do whether cooking, washing up, something in the house, driving etc my mum has an opinion and a way of doing it that is not only counter to what I was doing or do but also is guaranteed to wind me up :-)  Bless her! 


So, I've just delivered mum to the station with L who will travel most of the way home with her on the train which is great.  I'm pleased about that.  I was a bit worried that the trains would be screwed up like they were yesterday.  poor A tried to get to work for hours and the trains were just iced up and couldn't run - this country - it makes you despair a tiny bit of ice and snow and as it was a weekend service they probably didn't run the de-icing trains.  I imagine thousands of people were badly affected by the lack of foresight of the train companies once again.  

So now I'm in catch up mode and trying to get myself back to where I was a week or more ago.  In the meantime I've picked up my book "The Insulin Factor" by Antony J. Haynes which is really interesting as it reinforces much of what I've been reading about our modern carbohydrate fuelled diets.   It also goes a bit further and gives a holistic look at lifestyle too.  We were discussing diet and this book added to Tim Ferriss, Dr. Atkins and the Dukan diet all appear to be saying the same thing but each has a slightly different slant to the benefits of a higher protein diet and less man made carbohydrates.  Certainly the move away from processed foods and anything white (potatoes, rice, pasta, sugar, milk etc).  Some diets say cheese is OK and some say it isn't.  Some say coffee is OK and again others say it isn't.  I've lost plenty of weight but now need to drive it a little further and I'm thinking that I might just reduce my carb intake a little more and reduce the amount of legumes I'm taking in place of other carbs during the day.  

It is strange that I'm losing weight all over my body not just my stomach.  The strange thing is that my trousers now don't sit under my stomach any more but properly around my waist.  My watch is sliding around my wrist as I've lost the fat on my arms, fingers, legs chest and the side bits around my stomach area :-)  I'm feeling good and not getting out of breath - I can bend down to do my shoes up without discomfort and many other things that are recognisable.  Like many of these diets I'm trying to make sure I lose weight in a controlled manner and after the huge loses at the start I'm now taking a few pounds a week off.  I'm two stones lighter and getting close to two and a half stones lighter depending on when I weigh myself (I really should set a time and day to do it to compare properly).

Anyway my mum's on her way home - it wasn't a great week with snow, rain and freezing weather but at least she had a week (more in fact) to chat to someone and we got around a bit and did some trips out and the grandchildren were around for some time too so that was good. It is nice that L is going back to Uni and can take mum back as well which is great.  Yesterday could have been a bit dodgy as it was Mum's Anniversary and the first one without dad around. She is doing remarkably well without him I think and I imagine she will be a bit lonesome tonight but I'll talk to her later and will recommence my daily calls.

No comments: