Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Settled down a bit now

It is always good to be home. I ended up in main surgical ward - it reminded me of Florence Nightingale, the Crimea and Consumption so I hardly slept at all due to the coughs and wheezes of the sick people :-)

Anyway, certainly in a much better sense of humour now that I have had some hours napping and running to and from the toilet all day :-) Keep the liquid intake up!!

Curiously having a catheter in overnight meant no burning and stinging sensation this morning which was a relief when going to the loo for the first and subsequent times - something to be said for that then but I still cannot stand stuff hanging out of my body and I was so uncomfortable with that and the half a mile of piping on my cannula. . They need to make up their minds whether they expect quantity or quality with urination checks. They asked for 2 last night then once I did that they changed their mind and made it three. By now my sense of humour failure was almost complete. The Cannula hurt like crazy and bled like mad when it came out and there was another one stuck in my upper arm near my shoulder which came out with no problems. Never had one of those before either. I wonder if they prepped me for something larger or because of the heightened state I was in did something else to me. I'm sure this wasn't the handiwork of my Consultant perhaps one of her apprentices.

Anyway, I'm back to my normal happy self after having gone through a pretty anxious and unpleasant day and a half. I've never had a set of biopsies like this - it actually felt like the 2nd TURBT in terms of how rough I felt. The cancellation bit was a nightmare and then as I was about to go home to reverse that was devastating, not that I didn't want the procedure, that I had resigned to not getting it done to 2009 in January and then all of a sudden it was panic stations, get the gown on, wow your blood pressure and heart rate are high - "No shit Sherlock!!" :-) I was into Theatre in 5 minutes flat - that from about to put my jacket on.

More when I feel up to it- have sat too long on this hard chair and can feel complaints coming from nether regions :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness the catheter doesn't have too far to travel in your case.
Get well soon mate and Merry Christmas

Steve Kelley said...

Ouch! Low blow!!!

A Dived Ref said...

Very droll Flocky :-) Hurtful but true :-)

A Dived Ref said...

Flocky - had words with your wife she says "It's not how long your urethra is, it is how you use it" :-)

Anonymous said...

Very good mate indeed. Well you've got your humour back.

A Dived Ref said...

For a moment there they took that away from me. Looking at how ill the other people were around me did make me realise it was probably just me being selfish (or was it shellfish?). Anyway, I am back to my normal cheerful self today and much better for it too. We will have to catch up for a beer soon. Hope you have a good Crimble etc.