Thursday, September 10, 2009

How quickly the body/mind forgets

I saw Steve Kelley's blog this morning and he is about to get another 3 BCG treatments (1 a week for the next 3 weeks). Steve hasn't had these for 6 months and so was reviewing his notes and getting himself prepared for the treatment.

It takes a fair amount of courage to mentally prepare yourself for having these treatments and a lot of the routines I used to do were all about building yourself up for the treatment itself and being prepared for the inevitable side effects when you returned home.

Now I can look back and state what a great thing it was as I am clear. I feel well and I feel that the treatment was in no small measure responsible for this. Mind you, try telling yourself that at the time and it is often difficult to be thinking positive thoughts as the nurse inserts a catheter into you to instill the BCG.

But back to the title. Until Steve posted his blog, I really hadn't thought much about the treatments - I am certain that my mind just put that set of experiences in the "Too difficult to deal witth" section of my mind. It brings it all back to me especially the one that really pulled out every side effect in the books. They say that efficacy cannot be measured by the strength of the side effects and yet these first treatments really did a lot in terms of stripping out the old bladder lining and encouraging new non cancerous growth. I still marvel that someone ever considered that sticking BCG in your bladder may have such a profound outcome.

I am also glad that I was young and fit enough to take the side effects too.

I suppose I ought to be glad that the mind puts a lot behind you. When I do get to think back on my time with BC I do realise what I went through and can get upset for myself, more so than I ever did when I lived through all those things.

Anyway, I'm off this morning to go and give a talk about the charity and then I can head off to my parents and spend a few days with them which I am looking forward to.

No comments: