Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Oh Dear PC Woes

I cannot believe that a company would send out an update that just froze my PC.   An auto update has fist of all frozen my PC and wont let it start properly (or restart).  Just another frustration with modern technology being too clever by half.  It is a known issue  has been happening on and off for years by the looks of the fora on this.


I can completely rebuild the system or fiddle around with the registry settings and hope that I can make it work again.  I've a scan going  at the moment to make sure it isn't anything more serious which promises to be complete in 834 minutes!  So I'm on the main PC in the house, the server I guess you'd call it.  thank goodness that I had already printed out my speeches for tonight or I'd have been in a little bit of do do.  Actually I could have gotten around it as these are at least backed up and I could access them from another PC.


It is SO annoying that something that is meant to protect my PC has actually completely knackered it.  Remember that I know what I'm doing with PCs and even this has got me scratching my head.  The PC wont recover either by itself or with me intervening which is unusual. It doesn't look to be a virus or a trojan it does look to be a crap piece of code that needs to be sorted out.  Of course, how a mere mortal is meant to do this is beyond me.


Had a good evening delivering a certificate and a talk about the charities and got £50 donation for charity and a free meal and wine to boot.  Also nice to bring back a raffle prize of chocolates for Mrs. F!  :-) 

No comments: