Thursday, April 12, 2012

Useful Chats

My Nephew turned up tonight and we went out for a drink - yes I know - I can only have red wine.... and did!


It's nice to get an alternative view fro a younger person.  He and I go way back and we have a great relationship (even if I don't know it).  I don't get that I've been there for him for years and have been a surrogate dad and that's nice but also a bit worrying too.  He's a bright lad, in a world leading business and has done well for himself.


Tonight was a mixture of discussing what life has to offer and the various stages in the journey - it wasn't as heavy as that sounds but it helped me to formulate some ideas that I need to discuss with Mrs. F in the coming months.  It is funny that I've been interested in the journey - by that I mean - building the business, tackling all the elements that were needed especially after half the team disintegrated and faded into the distance.  I'm not entirely clear about what I want to do with myself after this is ended.  I see many paths and many outcomes and some are philanthropic and some are more capitalistically based! :-)


It's a difficult time - I'm a little past that mid life crisis unless I live to 110 when in fact I'd be right in it :-)  I'm torn between greed and hermit dom.  A bit of me says "sod off to Spain and enjoy yourself" and another bit says "Use all those skills you've learnt and do something useful with your life!" There's the commitments of family and friends and there's the security of where you've lived most of your adult life.  The house we've built our family around and the (limited) social life we have here.  All of these things are in a big see saw balance along with relationships and family, friends and social life, proximity to London (let's face it - whilst I may scorn it - I live in one of the best cities in the world) and then there are things like health and well-being and security and travel and other things that need to be resolved.


Nothing needs to be sorted out right now and decisions like this need some time to think through.  I have my own ideas and I'm certain that these don't suit everyone - so compromise is on the cards but what compromise would I come to?  What would suit everyone?  Do I suit myself or try and do a United Nations on it?  Time will tell I guess.

No comments: