Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What Irks You?

Interesting we had a brief conversation about the way some people get upset about things.  This happened to be about whether someone should have been promoted or not and who, because he wasn't and was perhaps overlooked, started building almost a dossier of grievances and then through illogical actions upset the very people who were able to assist him to get the promotion.

Now, it isn't really fair to say but I will, it is almost a paranoia and a total disenchantment and everyone else who gets a promotion is younger, not been in as long as me, somebody's favourite and so on.  It's not just him there is anger and resentment in others too.  It seems no one is happy with their lot and everyone has got a moan about something.

Since the summer I've found it doesn't mean anything to me.  I was going to say that at one time I was hankering and hoping for promotion myself and today - nah.  What's the point?   What is it after all?  It's a stroke for your ego.  It's a meaningless symbol that says you are "higher" than someone else.  It's actually quite a strange thing when you think about it.  

This is Masonry and sometimes it's one of those things you have to remind people about.  Sure it's serious and it's got great values at its heart and that's why it has lasted so long.  It has some very interesting avenues of research etc etc.  It's a great thing but the problem some people also have is that it is a Club.  It is our hobby, it is something that you should enjoy and all the bitching in the background isn't quite what it is all about.  I understand it but it just seems to me to be wrong.  Missing the point in many ways.  In the overall scheme of things what importance do you place on your position in a hierarchy?  

But don't you see this everywhere and in every walk of life.  Someone upset because of something someone else has done?  I used to get upset about it but the only person upset about it was me!  Hold on, I didn't do anything, it's totally up to him what he does, why am I annoyed or upset about it?  Now of course it could be that it directly or indirectly affects me but do you know what?  These days I just let them get on with it and don't worry about it.  What's the point of me getting angry and upset at all?  Do I think the guy is doing something to me on purpose or just being an arse or making the wrong decision?  Well it no longer matters to me.  The only person who got upset or affected used to be me.  So I no longer worry about it.  I said before what will be will be.  Let that person carry on doing whatever it is and move on.  

I find these days that I hear people who are very angry or upset about things and last night there was some upset about something and it was a totally illogical ego driven process of making oneself angry with a situation that was totally out of your control to do anything about anyway?  Why did it make you angry in the first place and the sheer intensity of the anger must be boiling the persons blood and cranking up his blood pressure and making him feel bad.  He was doing all of this to himself and for what?  Something he had heard that he disagreed with.  Maybe he felt he knew better?  

So honestly what's the point of getting angry and upset and annoyed at stuff beyond your ability to control it?  Where's the logic, where's the sense?  All that damage you do to yourself and all the upset you cause yourself - it's plain silly when you think about it.

No comments: