Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Discovering Philip Glass

There was a programme on last night and I happened into it.  It was a documentary following Philip Glass and whilst I knew who he was I hadn't really listened to his work (knowingly). Of course that started to change after the documentary that had me captivated by this man whose work is just amazing.  He reminds me of one of my favourite artists Michael Nyman and I've lots of his work and enjoy many of his films scores especially the Piano, the Draughtsman's Contract, The Thief, His Wife, The Cook and Her Lover, ZOO A Zed and Two Noughts and so on.


However, I have just invested in a DVD that was partially shown called intriguingly Powaqqatsi and of course the I found out that some of his music was in a film that I also enjoy, the Truman Show.   


The documentary showed Glass' spiritual side and I was intrigued by his complex music and his relationship with conductor, orchestra and chorus.  It was one of those evenings when suddenly a whole new avenue of music and culture opened up to me.  There was work with world culture musicians including Ravi Shankar.


So I'm looking forward to the film and to surround myself in the music and the cinematography.  I imagine A will like it as she is of an "artistic bent".  I very much doubt that Mrs. F. or L will see it for anything other than a load of noise and a film with no dialogue :-)


I felt quite embarrassed that I had only achieved what I have now where this man was just the most amazing dynamo of a man - sure he has frailties and has suffered some serious knocks but he had just gone out there and "done it".  I feel in some ways that this is the "American Dream" that you can make something of yourself because it is OK to fail in the US.  Here, if you fail you get kicked into the gutter.  If you make it, you still get kicked in the teeth.  We don't understand the "dream" we don't get that working hard gets you there one way or the other.  When people succeed in this country you are just as likely to get attacked by the envious hordes who feel that they somehow should share in success even though they've been no part of the building or achievement of it.  Rather than acknowledge those who have built such enterprises or climbed the  heights and achieved something, they find every reason to tear it down and trash it.  


The quick buck and the destruction of self built people and there on screen was this genius who got ripped to shreds by the critics in his earlier career proving them all wrong.  I'm captivated by his music and am really looking forward to getting the film and sitting alone listening to it!

No comments: