Friday, February 03, 2012

The ups and downs of Cancer

Just spoke to my mum and it is time that the Macmillan Nurse was called on to come and have an initial chat.  The trouble is that the time to "accept" what is coming down the line hasn't arrived and whilst I don't think dad is in denial, he certainly doesn't want to reflect on this subject at the moment and I guess we have to respect that.  Sooner or later it will have to be discussed but if he doesn't think that time is now then we can't do a lot about it I guess.


So there's a thing - I just reread the paragraph above and I didn't write death once did I - we are crap at discussing death aren't we :-)  But that too is the point, we aren't very good at dealing with these things and whilst it would be a useful thing for dad it would also be very good for mum too to start to understand and cope with what is coming down the line as she will bear the brunt and day-to-day.


In reality, he will find, like I did, that it needs to be your decision when you come to terms with these things and what to do about them.  I do hope that he will get the nurse in to see him soon for reassurance if nothing else and to set some sort of expectations.  For example, he feels dizzy occasionally and weak and tired and these are worrying but part of the journey and I think that the nurse would be able to just set the scene and if asked they won't have to discuss end of life at the first visit.

No comments: