Friday, February 03, 2012

So what to do....

We had a conference call tonight and it sounded to me as if my colleagues were almost resigned to the fact that we may not get any finance - which is a bit negative considering we've only been at it for about 6 weeks and that includes the Christmas break....


But there is a point there that the market is a bit flat at the moment and that unless you've just come out of University you can't be taken seriously as an Entrepreneur!  :-)  Of course that may be completely wrong but the money appears to be going into stuff that lots of other people are doing, nothing new or radical and lots of me me projects.


So having said that I was left with an evening of wondering what I might like to do for the rest of my working life!  I've had enough travelling and enough sharp end stuff and yet as someone told me today; the experience that I have and knowledge of start ups ought to be put to good use somewhere - I'm not sure I can bring myself to work hard for anyone other than myself.  


I really hadn't thought about the possibility until now that we may not get finance.  I'm still expecting it to take 6 or more months and hence I've been arguing that it is all a numbers game.  You can't win a raffle without buying some tickets and the more tickets you buy the better chance you have of winning.  To decide not to explore some avenues of finance because you assume that it won't be useful isn't exploring all the options or buying the tickets.  I'd rather explore the avenues and be told no than not to and wonder if.


I suppose that somewhere the line needs to be drawn and we are almost clear on where and what that is now.  We just have to agree it because there comes a time when you hit the law of diminishing returns.  I hope though that we will give the US a go as they have a much better VC scene than we do in the UK and it appears that people there really understand business a little better than the cautious bunch here.


So - what could I possibly do?  I still have the initial set-up for the genealogy business and that wouldn't take too long to set up and get moving.  It may be difficult initially to catch up on the 3 or 4 years changes in the market place but I'm sure that is one possibility.  Alternative ideas will need to be thought about I suppose.  I'm certain that I'll come up with something to do that I will enjoy rather than just work at.  Well I've got time to decide and explore.

No comments: