Friday, September 26, 2008

Previous Post

It probably wasn't clear but the point is that when I get ill now I find it quite hard to take time off or to actually be ill. For 30 years I hardly ever had a day off in my life and to start now and to find that I am genuinely not well is difficult to take -it almost affronted me if I ever took time off, I suppose I come from that sort of background where you would almost be accused of malingering if you didn't go back to work the day after having your leg cut off etc :-)

The reality is that I've never had so much time off, I've never been so fatigued, unable to complete things when I wanted to and generally not been up for doing things. Sometimes I'd rather stay at home and watch the TV than get up and go out somewhere. When I do go out I get tired quickly, cannot keep up and often these days, leave early and come home early.

Now I realise that I must have been ill as I can clearly remember what it was like before and after and I can compare, now that I am gradually getting back to a normal life (whatever normal may be), one with the other.

It is clearly a case of the mind thinks it can do something and the body is saying no. Occasionally my brain actually works out that beforehand too. It is just so annoying that I'm not fit and I'm not as mentally and physically agile as I was a few years ago. then is when the reality hits home and the fall off of performance is surprising. I find it hard to believe that I have lost so much strength physically and indeed, in some cases, mentally.

I'm not sure I want to accept it though, surely you get back to where you were before? Maybe not? Two of my friends are still coming to terms with it years afterwards.

No comments: