Thursday, September 18, 2008

It isn't over until the Fat Lady sings

No idea where that comes from but it sounded a fun title:

I was asked a number of questions over the past 2 years or so. Here are a few:

Q: Did you think you were going to die?
A: Yes for about 2 or 3 weeks until I went and found the answers to most of the questions that needed answering.

Q: How can you let people stick things up your (Penis/Prick/Todger)?
A: It is a bit like this - what happens if I don't let them? You die!! Simple choice really

Q: Why are you so happy all the time?
A: Because life is too short to be unhappy. Because I am probably cured. Because what is there to be unhappy about - I'm alive. Any variants on the same are acceptable.

Q: How can Cancer be funny?
A: You have to have it to see the funny side. I'm not being disrespectful you do have to laugh at the things that happen. if you didn't you'd cry. I still remember with eye watering clarity kicking my urine collection bag across the ward and then realising it was attached by a pipe to my catheter which was in turn inserted in me. Now it wasn't that funny then but it is now.

Q: Do you think you will die of Bladder Cancer?
A: No I will die when my heart stops working! Actually I don't think it will be BC, maybe another type or some sort of heart problem (although I am on preventative drugs for that). Natural causes like getting old would be preferable.

Q: Aren't you annoyed that you no longer work in the IT world?
A: Don't forget I worked in IT in the Finance world - look what is happening now. Glad I realised that it was a shallow and non honorable towards the end and got out. I sometimes miss the wage packets and all that but I don't think I'll miss the two faced nature of the business these days.

Q: Working for the Third Sector has to be tiresome?
A: No, far from it, it is actually (but don't tell anyone) the best job in the world. Where else do you get to pull kids out of poverty and make sure that they aren't singled out as different. Giving Kids the opportunity to an education is the best work in the world - no it really is. Imagine using all my years of experience to make sure others get a good start in life. The best thing I ever did. I didn't plan it that way either!

Q: Why go for a Degree?
A: Why not. I never got the opportunity when I was young. I've had the goal of getting better. That is almost achieved now - I need another goal to be as stretching as getting better. How about going for a BA (Hons) Degree?

Q: Why do you keep banging on about collateral damage?
A: There is no doubt that I have made new friends through being ill but also, old friends haven't been able to cope with me being ill through whatever reason. Some have drifted away and may drift back. Prejudice is inherent with Cancer (not sure why) and people who haven't got cancer deal with it in different ways. You mustn't forget that people of my age rarely saw anyone survive cancer, or if they did, it came back and got them later. Of course things have improved but your subconscious carries these prejudices around. Back to the point of you'll lose and you'll gain some friends and you'll also not realise but you change yourself and so people wont recognise you for who you used to be and you may lose them through that.

So now think how those who have to live with you all the time react to you changing, you being ill, I'm sure they may have thought I'd die too. What does it do to them and maybe you come out changed and they don't. This is where the collateral damage concerns arise. You can try and minimise it but just think of the strain that it puts the family under. At the time, the last thing I'd be considering is what is my illness doing to them - I am fully concentrated on fighting my own little battles.

Cancer is a physical disease with the capacity to really screw around with your brain :-)

No comments: