Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Goodbye

Bleach tablets, latex gloves, anti bacterial scrub, tablets, note pad and pen, stress balls and all the other stuff that got me through the treatments.

The paperwork is in my dedicated drawer of Hospital information - it is a massive file already - a lever arch full! The stress balls have been great as they allow you to take out the tension on those whilst getting instilled with the BCG. It certainly gave me something to do with my hands.

In the time that I have been having these treatments I have almost (not quite) read the three massive volumes of Martin Gilbert's History of the Twentieth Century. I am up to 1994 now but I don't want anymore BCGs to allow me to finish that off. I need to make an effort and finish it soon as my course starts in two weeks time and I will need to concentrate on loads of set books and DVDs etc.

I am feeling quite pleased and a little elated this morning. I had the most amazing dream session last night so many dreams - really weird stuff - as they tend to be - but there was no main theme but it was all high octane stuff, rally cars, fast boats, athletes, skiing - maybe it was all about freedom - who knows?

It feels quite curious to be here and taking the next step towards recovery. Another 12 weeks and an operation for biopsies and then a nail biting wait for results will then take everything close to Christmas and the New Year. It would be nice to think that 2009 could start with good news and a lift some of the clouds of the past 2 1/2 years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is to say that I am greatly moved that you are reading my book.

My thoughts are with you,

Martin Gilbert

A Dived Ref said...

Dear Martin,

Wow - I had to blink and look twice at the comment. I love history and your books have been a constant companion and I have thoroughly enjoyed working my way through each of the years you have covered.

I am just about to embark on an Open University course to study History at BA (Hons) level and pursue my interests further. I am in awe at the effort and in-depth research your work represents. I hope they don't expect me to cover such a massive subject in such a succinct and readable way as you managed to :-)

Thanks for your good wishes.

I am so pleased you dropped this comment on my blog - you have made my day - thank you.