Thursday, February 05, 2009

Might be something else happening now then

I got a letter confirming my mild atypia today - I believe that means the same thing as atypical cells :-)

As it was the first post we have had for 4 days I checked with the Hospital to make sure I wasn't due in on Monday. apparently not. They have been checking to see whether I had undertaken a full one-years worth of maintenance - which I have of course. Based on that, they will be making up their minds what to do with me on Monday.

It is therefore possible that the treatment plan will change given that it is to really rid me of the atypia. I now have to wait and see what they plan to do with me. from what I gathered last time it isn't the maintenance I had before which was 3 BCGs one a week , wait 9 weeks, 3 more one a week, wait 12 weeks, rigid cystoscopy, results back in 2 weeks and next course sorted from there. It sounded like (poor deaf person I am at the moment) that it would be 3 BCG at 3 monthly intervals with a rigid scope at 6 and 12 months.

Whatever it is, it means I don't have to worry about being off work next week on Monday and Tuesday. The week following is a different thing of course.

I don't think it is anything to concern myself about other than what regime I get put on and that it "does what it says on the tin" and gets me completely clean and clear. Whilst this doesn't sound like a big deal having mild atypia, it IS a big deal to me and it needs to get sorted. Hard to bring my mind around to the positives when I know I have to go through some more pretty serious treatments before we can be happy that it isn't the beginning of a recurrence.

Indeed, the fear is that this mild atypia is indeed the commencement of a recurrence although no one has said that or even intimated that to me. It sounds like a normal thing. Let's hope so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still thinking of you and keeping fingers crossed mate.