Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cancer Buddies

I thought that THIS was interesting in today's BBC News.

A quote "People say they know how you feel, but they don't" from Ray Bryant kind of summed it up. No matter how you imagine it to be, it isn't anything like you thought it would be.

I still go back to the frequent catheterizations and explain that it isn't like you think it was going to be. In fact a number of the experiences just aren't in your every run of the mill day experience.

The buddy scheme and to some extent I hope recording what goes on in this blog - even the dull and boring - gets us away from the stigma and prejudice attached to cancer. Life goes on for more of us these days. Also, how you cope with treatments and what you do may be useful to someone else. No one told me at the hospital and tricks to combat the side effects. I devised that myself. That is the sort of thing that needs to be recorded so that others don't have to go through the same problems.

4 comments:

Gary said...

Hi Dave,

I had just spotted this as well and was going to drop you a line to see if you had seen it.

Ruth and I are off to my firat 'Gentleman's Lunch' shortly! It will be interesting to see how it compares to a 'Ladies's night'!!

Hope to see you soon.

Gary

A Dived Ref said...

Thanks Gary - have a great time - you'll have to let me know how you got on.

I'm back at "work" now so if you are around perhaps we can have a beer at Wolfes or Lamb and Flag one evening?

andyp said...

Just to say thanks to you David, and Steve K, best cancer buddies i could have,the info i got from your blog, and emails, helped me no end,THANKYOU.

A Dived Ref said...

Andy - you are very welcome and it is great encouragement on your news too.

I hope you are feeling sufficiently recovered to have had a few beers - you know it is good to wash out your bladder with :-)

Have a good week - I imagine you can't stop smiling either?