Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Reminder if I needed it

That Bladder Cancer can be fatal.  Andy Williams, aged 84 died today from it.  Read about it here.  At the same time, the same web site reported this "Cancer death rates set for a 'dramatic fall'" which they predict by 2030.  However, despite Bladder Cancer being the number 4 cancer, it doesn't appear on here.

It's a reminder, should I need it, that what I had could have killed me and may still do so.   I can't seem to get those close to me to understand what that feels like and what it means and how it alters your view and judgement.  I suppose they went through the possibility of what might happen to me but perhaps it doesn't impact as much as it isn't happening to you.  It is a bit like that moment in Lord of the Rings were Frodo is told that the burden to bear the Ring is his alone.  

There's something to be said for having experienced the life changing event that cancer presents you but only you "get it" fully and realise what it means.  

Andy Williams, dare I say I bought one of his records when I first started buying such things as a teenager although I'm blowed if I can remember what it was - perhaps the theme from the Godfather?  It's a good reminder to me to take this stuff seriously. 

No comments: