Friday, July 06, 2012

Most things done

Just trying to finalise my list of things to be done.  Have recorded the death, got the permission for dad to come home (well to the Chapel of Rest).  He is now just around the corner here and mum will go and see him next week.  It's not my sort of thing at all really, I don't get why you'd want to see a dead person.  I'm sure it wont be horrid but it doesn't appear high up on the things I want to do.  All the letters and emails, phone calls and arrangements are now made and I'm trying to work on convincing my brother who isn't a man of the cloth to stop acting like a vicar and writing loads of sentimental slush on things.  I'm happy to let him have his way on the Order of Service with his Eulogy on the back pages, I'll be delivering the family tribute.


The problem I have with it is this, my brother has got really uptight and just writes the most cringe worthy stuff that my dad would hate.  He really has lost the plot.  So there's been a few frank exchanges of view about it and certainly in terms of the music, I've managed to change that to something a bit more like my dad would like and I hope when we see the vicar that we can have a minimalist version with just enough religious content to make sure things are done properly.  My brother had also misinterpreted the amount of time we have so he thought 45 minutes but when I spoke to the Funeral Director to check it is actually 25 minutes so there's something that can be worked on to minimise the impact.


Anyway, I'm delighted that I have managed to get so much achieved and that the funeral will go ahead in a weeks time.  Now to make sure that my brother sees my point about writing prose on the flowers dedication cards.  It was lucky I didn't read beyond the first few lines it was that sentimental I might have puked up.  He needs to get out more.







No comments: