Monday, July 23, 2012

Write it down

I've decided to record my preferences for my funeral so there will be no doubt that it is to be similar to my dad's if possible.  I've selected some music tracks that I like that are suitable (and some unsuitable ones) and just some basics.  I have no doubt that it will be as difficult for whoever is left to sort it out but if I write down some ideas of stuff I like then it might make that a bit easier.  I'll have a bit of a balance on the religious content as I do 


I do like poetry but most of it is probably unsuitable - I like the WW1 war poets particularly but not sure that they would be quite the ticket really.  I might need to have a think about that and jot down some favourites in that area.  I fancy a fair bit of stuff but with 25 minutes to cover a life it is hardly possible.  Maybe they can just have some of my music at my wake and a few photos of us having a laugh..


Dad left a note about his chosen charities and the poem he wanted and a few caretaker's notes about what to do with his ashes etc.  A man of little fuss and that's fine - I would prefer something that just celebrated the fun its been.


So I thought that I ought to at least give it a crack and of course now I've started writing my favourite music and listening to the tracks and lyrics - I have too many - Mmmm :-)  Oh well, at least there'll be plenty to choose from.

Like my films, my music is typically me and eclectic so that should be interesting.  I have just started to go through the DVDs I got for my birthday - there are a couple that I know will not be quite right at the moment to watch as they will be too upsetting and a bit raw.  That's find but I'd rather hold them until I am ready.  It is similar with certain bits of music I really have to build up to listening to them - almost like preparing myself for the train wreck they impart on my emotions.  It sounds a bit strange but some classical work, if you just sit down and immerse yourself in it, can be quite draining - Elgar and the Enigma Variations - amazing but play me Nimrod from that and it rips me apart.  we definitely aren't having that at my funeral... 



No comments: