Monday, July 09, 2012

The phone call and an unplanned night out

Flocky Bicep and I were out this morning for some coffees and a chat - he's a great help to me and I hope that I am also of some use to him.  Dealing with my brother and his sudden reincarnation as primate of the Church of England has been a lot more difficult than you can imagine as I am towing a difficult middle ground between what my mum wants and what my brother thinks should happen.  


Thankfully the vicar will arrive and talk to my mum when my brother is at work and so she may actually be able to discuss the ceremony SHE wants for dad and the sort of thing that HE wanted.  It is difficult when you are dealing with a religious zealot and the remainder of the family who need closure but who also know that dad, who's funeral it is after all, just wanted to go in, be stuck on the fire and flushed down the loo (those are his words not mine BTW).  


This high Gothic ceremony of mourning my brother wants is just so OTT and so it was great the Flocky and another good friend invited me out for a couple of beers tonight.  That ended up with a curry and a whisky chaser but it was good to get our own problems (and we each have them) off our chests.  I feel like some sort of hard as nails villain in the way I speak about my dad and his wishes but actually, he doesn't want any bother or any fuss, he wants a small, close and simple ceremony that is short and that allows everyone to get on with their lives.


When I listened to myself tonight I realised that I have all the answers to why my father treated me like he did in these last 10 years and in many ways why my brother and I have separated over the past 20 years or so too.  Things become clear but they don't get any easier.  There are other problems that will manifest themselves after this latest hurdle is overcome (didn't mean for that to sound as bad as it looks) and I need to rise to them.


It was nice to get out and to have a beer or two with the boys.  Unfortunately I have to repeat the process again tomorrow with my school chums.  I hope I bear up as well as I did again tonight?

No comments: