Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Working at home

I sort of miss the freedom when I have to go and do "structured" work. Commuting, routine and same desk thinking is one of the things I got away from back in the early 1990s and I enjoyed the creative freedom that working at home gives you.

You can work when you like and that means you work when you are most likely to perform well. You don't have 3 hours worth of travelling each day to add to the day. You don't sit in cattle trucks for the journey and a list of other things that make the typical day to day work experience less than just "getting out of the house".

At least today it was good to get up an hour and a half later and still be sat at my PC before I'd really get started at work. Unfortunately the Third Sector is way behind in terms of flexible working and they don't get working from home at all. When I was in the IT business it was a necessary step to keep costs down and to some extent, as we tended to work at or on customer sites, it meant they could retain smaller offices that we hot desked in and out of. I could structure my day around my customer and myself and get a full day's work completed by 2 or 3 in the afternoon if I got into the office first thing, got what I needed done, went to the customer site etc. It meant that things got done, everyone was happy and I didn't get caught up in the commute in and out of London every day.

So it is quite nice being sat here at the PC and gradually working my way through the things I need to get done at my own pace.

I suppose a day off and I now value my time more than I did when I just sat here working away. Seeing the sun out I'm tempted to think that I'd like a local job that allows me to be in or out as I want. Dream on I suppose :-)

No comments: