Tuesday, November 28, 2006

As well as could be expected

I changed the plan yesterday to have the painkillers and anti inflammatories after the 2 hour instilled period and before the side effect kicked in. This appears to have worked really well.

I did the usual turning regime and then waited an hour and voided that. There was a slight sting and some light blood but it was manageable. I then grabbed some food (don't take Ibuprofen on an empty stomach) and so had the tablets at about 2 1/2 hours after instillation. I then went to sleep for about 2 1/2 hours and then went to the toilet. Much better than the week before and there was only one stinging moment a little later on. By 9 p.m. I had eaten, had my second lot of tablets and was asleep. I woke at 10:30 and went to the toilet then and again at 5:30 this morning - no signs this morning so far.

This seems to have worked better than last week. Most of the symptoms whilst still there are so much more manageable than week 2.

I am now 2/3 rds of the way through my treatment. The Nurse was very good yesterday. I asked about the Catheter and she told me that it was lubricated and showed me the bag it cam in. She said they could not give a local anesthetic alongside the treatment. However, I'm not sure I'd want one as the one I had with the Flexible Cystoscopy invoked a stinging sensation that made me feel that I wanted to go to the toilet and that would not do for this.

Anyway, the stress ball took a pounding as the catheter went past the Prostate but other than that - if it is at all the right thing to say - things were a lot better yesterday than they have been. I also reckon one of the worries I had yesterday was that I knew it was going to be a different nurse - but she was really good. In fact they have all been absolutely marvellous - it cannot be easy for them having to deal with what could be an embarrassing thing to have done and also what can be a sensitive thing too.