Saturday, November 04, 2006

A Few Days off before the treatment

I have just come back from my parents after spending a couple of days there prior to the treatment. I decided I ought to go and see them to prove I was still alive and also in case I am not fit enough around Christmas time. The treatment ends a week or so before Christmas and as I believe the side effects get progressively worse, I felt it was worth making sure I got to see them as they would find it difficult to get to me.

A nice few days but as I left, Mum was in tears. I think that this disease and its inherent uncertainty make for this sort of reaction and for those close to you to feel as bad as well. It really isn't fair.

I am gladdened though to read the leaflet the Hospital sent me through about the treatment and what it is all about. I like this bit:

"Treatment with OncoTICE is a form of immunoterapy, which helps your body to produce a natural defence against infections or tumours. immunotherapy has been shown to be a more effective treatment for superficial bladder cancer than chemotherapy in most patients. After TUR (transrethural resection), it can eliminate the remaining tumour cells and prevents other cells of the inner lining of the bladder wall from becoming malignant.

Someone mentioned that "all this treatment must be a pain in the arse". Near, very near :-)