Sunday, November 26, 2006

Turning the corner

I am now over half way through my treatment and I can hardly believe it is less than 5 months since I first noticed the symptoms and just 4 months since the first operation. Having two operations has probably the thing that knocked me sideways although a lot of people keep telling me to "wake up" you've just had major surgery or at least serious surgery. I suppose so. It is so matter of fact to me - I reckon it is a defence mechanism.

So, back to what I was going to say. I have taken things so easily and given everything - healing, treatment and so on every chance to work that I have put on a stack of weight. I know the traditional view of someone with cancer is a sallow complexion and hair loss etc but, I look and feel well but the extra 2 inches or so on my waist have got to come off. I have also been wearing jogging or track suit bottoms for a long time (they are comfortable - they are also easy to wear when you are having treatment too). I tried on a pair of trousers last week and they were very uncomfortable. I also reckon that the muscles around my middle are probably not particularly strong either.

So as of today, I am going to start back exercising each day. Today will be a walk of some sort. Luckily I am on the border between town and country so I can be in the fields and woods in 5 minutes. With Christmas coming I suppose I will have to be careful that I don't overdo it then by over eating - so easy to do when you are relaxing or recuperating :-). I am planning to go back to work full time in January. I need to be careful not to overdo it by trying to catch up on the lack of progress I have made on certain internal projects. I'll do myself a mischief if I do that.