Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fast and Efficient & OH YES!!

Left at 4:30, appointment bang on the dot at 4:40 home by 4:55.

Deep breath:

Here goes:

Clear - original areas are clear
Small areas - tiny, precancerous - cut out and no longer there

Next Steps:

6 more BCGs starting 4th June finishing 9th July.

3 Months after 9th July - oh dear - operation to biopsy the bladder and see what has happened. Interestingly enough this HAS to be done when you are knocked out.

If that is clear - maintenance - but it has to be clear to do that. Maintenance is 3 BGCs, 6 months, flexible scope, review, another 3 BCGs and so on. You get the 3 BCGs and gradually they build the time between reviews from 6 months outwards.


Conclusion:

I really wasn't expecting to have the biopsy operation. At the back of my mind I thought it might be needed but wasn't sure quite what they do but if they have to take more biopsies then they have to do that under a general - she did say that she could do a local but it wasn't particularly recommended and wouldn't be high on her list (or mine if the truth be known).

So, if you'd have put this on the table and said to me last year that in May 2007 you won't be worried about losing your bladder and using a bag, they've stopped the cancer from invading and this next lot of BCG is only tackling two tiny areas rather than the larger areas from before, I'd have pulled your arm from your socket.

Deep down inside I am really pleased. The BCG did its stuff and the next lot - whilst not pleasant, should see off these little pesky areas. Not sure about yet another operation in 4 and a half months time but perhaps I can live with that now.

Have things changed? Perhaps. I actually need to adjust my thinking and challenge myself a bit as I know this is a great step forward and I know I can live with this. It is whether I can work around it and manage my life with it that are the next big steps. No doubt more as I run through all the options and ideas and feelings that I have now.

Yesterday I thought I had this planned out for all scenarios and I'm not walking around with a big smile or anything at the moment - perhaps that will come later?

I'm out for a few drinks this evening so perhaps I can relax a bit then and temper the relief, excitement, gratefulness and yet slight disappointment and work out what really is important like getting a few beers now my neck and having a good time :-)

No comments: