Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A half reasonable result today

We managed to clear out huge tracks of the office rubbish and my desk certainly looks more organised. There is still a way to go as there are 5 or 6 projects that are awaiting something being done on each. These are in neat piles now. I am being far more ruthless than I ever thought I would be. My engineering magazines (had them for more than ten years) my PC magazines (at least 10 years as well) have all been dumped. All the old instruction books and old software also need to go - no one wants them anymore and they will not run on today's machines anyway.

All my old Open University notes, files, tutorials, assignments and also my Maths Foundation stuff are also in the recycling bin. You just keep so much stuff that is of no use to anyone anymore. I did find tow or three sheets that I did keep but they are relevant to something I am doing now. The rest has gone to three large sacks for recycling.

Finally I also cleared out my Computer Case. I keep spares - Operating Systems, Modems, Network cards etc. I've thrown away stuff that will never get used again and boxed up some stuff that I may need. But again, I've been ruthless with that - I mean - who uses a modem anymore and 3 1/2" disks - what are they??

I've seen the holiday I want to go on and the family have given "outline consent" so I think I'll go for that tomorrow. If it is available (and the first one wasn't) we can go just after my 50th Birthday party and go on a cruise. Anyway, more when I know about that. I've often fancied trying one out and this looks just the tonic and takes in a bit for everyone. At least that is the plan.

The job starts next week and I'm getting myself frantically up to speed on that. I'm certain that I can bring some really good values to the business and that I can help in a number of positive ways. To that end I have got some added responsibility already which I picked up details of today.

No comments: