Thursday, May 31, 2007

Preventative Medicine

The meeting with the Doc went well. We were both pleased about the results of the biopsies and also the Blood Pressure readings and the weight loss.

He is a bit concerned over the damage to my Kidneys (not much not significant) and also that some of the readings are getting towards the wrong end of where they should be etc. Most stuff is normal and also pre-diabetic stuff is backed away from those figures. There may still be a glucose intolerance but for the moment the figures do not show that.

Upshot is that there are more tablets - great - I hate any medicines - long story I will share with you one day. Anyway, I have to have these Statins for cholesterol and the like - even though my readings are good and within guidelines he would like to get them to really good.

My Blood Pressure tablets stay as they are and so that is under control - I am glad about that.

He wants me to have aspirin but is writing to my Consultant to make sure that it will not affect what she is doing - he doesn't want something with the potential side effects of aspirin (bleeding) to mess up the work done so far.

Oh and a blood test in a month and then give him a call. At least it isn't a fasting blood test this time. Doesn't matter I still don't like them. Nor did I like the "keep monitoring your reaction" over the next few months.

The biggest upset of the lot? I can no longer have Grapefruit juice or the Grapefuit fruit. That is one of my favourite things. Edited - I said fruit and I meant Grapefruit oops - one missing word and it means something entirely different!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why no grapefruit juice or fruit??
V and I eat five or six pieces of fruit every morning for breakfast.
Do we need to watch that??

A Dived Ref said...

If you take Statins then you cannot have Grapefuit they affect the drug and cause too much of an effect on the patient. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs_affected_by_grapefruit for more details. It is only if you take these particular pills prescribed today.

Only Graefruit Juice and Grapefruit segments all other Citrus fruit is fine - just Grapefruit - strange.

I love Grapefruit - I had my last one today :-( It was very sad. I now mustn't have any at all for as long as I am on these pills. Ho hum :-)

A Dived Ref said...

I changed the poost - I missed the word "Grape" off of the last "fruit" - Sorry - I hadn't re-read that when I posted it. Anyway - keep eating fruit and grapefruit until your Doctor says no :-)