Monday, May 12, 2008

Retrospective

It seems hardly possible that this is my 5th operation in 22 months! It hardly seems possible that in that short space of time I could have gone through all of this. It really is a strange journey and it is something that rules my days and governs my life and actions although I am pleased to say not in the way I thought it might have done.

Along the way, the additional health scares - real and imaginary and the lifestyle changes I have consciously made, together with the job from hell have all added to an interesting and action packed time.

Looking back the very best that could have been an outcome for me was to be where I am now - on maintenance, no recurrence and still having a bladder and being able to use it. The worst was death and in between there were other various options In a way thank goodness it was Bladder Cancer which is very treatable.

I look back and realise quite how traumatic a time I've actually had these past 22 months. I've tried to say it as it is, both mentally and physically, in this blog. The dark and nasty black dog days are very few and far between now and emotionally I am under much better check now. I like the fact that I have managed to see the funny side and to remain overall positive about the outlook and the treatment and the eventual outcome. Would I cope with a set back? Probably although to have come this far along the line to be set back would be a big disappointment.

I couldn't have foreseen the eventual outcome on the work front would be where I am now but the change in direction, the job satisfaction and the less stressful nature of that work have allowed me to refocus and reassess what I was doing, perhaps how I was damaging myself and now, I can have one less worry in life. I really fancied having a bundle of money to retire with in a few years to allow me to go off and do my own thing but that isn't to be and whilst it would be nice - I actually think I'd prefer my mental and physical health to be intact.

What else? People. People are great, I have friends who keep in touch via my e-mail, phone call, SMS and it was lovely to get notes dropped over. Some people have disappeared - not many - but they are coming back now. I understand that - I'm probably as guilty of that as anyone.

I was surprised that I didn't get to do lots of things I thought that I'd want to do. Life carried on in many ways and whilst we pushed the boat out with a Cruise last year, I haven't gone and done or reacted to this in a way that perhaps is portrayed as the way you should? I haven't planned to climb Mount Everest, run a marathon or travel around. I'd love to go to the Monaco Grand Prix but there is still time to do that. I haven' felt inclined to do any of these things and if anything I actually hold myself back from them rather than doing them.

I've appeared to have lost or just not got back to my old well organised self. Tings are getting slowly back to normal but I am nowhere near as organised as I used to be and it takes me ages to get things done and I spend ages doing not a lot at all really.

I've noticed that I am far more tolerant and far more empathetic these days, I enjoy my family more than I did before, I probably appreciate acts of kindness and notice them where I may no have before. My compassionate side is markedly more in evidence now, I was never an emotional sort excepting that I was often passionate about things I believed in. So even now I can get quite distressed when reading some of the cases I have to write about at the Charity. I have a very low tolerance level for trite, shallow and vacuous things. Soap Operas, Quiz Shows, Talent Shows and fly on the wall stuff, most journalism (well asking the bleeding obvious) drives me to distraction and I cannot believe that today's world is full of people who I don't know who are called celebrities who are asked to comment on lots of things they know nothing about and who people appear to take as gospel. It is a funny old world. Meanwhile in Burma all sorts of tragedies are about to unfold but we want to know what some football star who earns millions of pounds a year thinks about the state of Jeans as a fashions statement? Mind you - it could be me. I don't mind sport and entertainment but don't feed it to me as news or some sort of informed opinion.

So perhaps all this has brought out the extremes in me - maybe I am far more emotional, more opinionated, certainly more outgoing than I used to be (although I do have my long quiet moments too).

Whatever, I am glad to be here after 22 months and to be able to put down my thoughts and to be able to be going in the direction I am. So far, each set of tests has moved things on in the right direction and I still think that I am not taking it seriously. But then the chap in the bed opposite me had a Kidney removed and that looked serious to me. I thought to myself that I had got off lightly. To have Cancer is very frightening and to have to go through the operations, the tests, the treatments and so on isn't what you'd like. Normal people, shudder when they hear what is done to me and I think it is normal to have those things done. I thought these things were horrible but when needs must and you have to have it done, it becomes a matter of routine. The mind has wonderful ways of making this acceptable to you. I get told that I am "keeping up the fight" and other such cliches and I don't think I am. Of course it is life threatening and nasty but you mustn't look at it that way. The down side of this is that you forget that occasionally you DO need to take things easy and that you do need to recover and so on. Invariably, as I convince myself that I am alright I do forget these things and so need to remember going forward that your health is everything and that it is better to take an extra day off here and there than to try and return too early to work etc.

So, a bit longer than I thought it would be. I'm pleased to be here and I can convince myself that for the next 14 months or so, I should be continuing to make progress. I initially thought that I may be going to the Hospital for the rest of my life. Perhaps I'll need some odd scopes but at least the treatment could be over and done with within 14 months - that would be brilliant. If there is a relapse then we go back on the roller coaster again. I've made plenty of changes to the way I live and so I hope that doesn't happen but I need to keep in mind that whilst it is disease that can be treated easily it does have a recurrence rate that is high. The odds state though that if it hasn't recurred withing a certain period then things do have a bright outcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very well said

You really should write a book on your experiences

All the best for the next 22 Months

vaalbri

A Dived Ref said...

Thanks - the book is in a draft form at the moment. I actually have to write a book for the Lodge History over the summer and so I will gain some experience from that and use it to produce the book.