Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Facing up to your Mortality

Went to the funeral - for once a funeral on a glorious sunny day. It is surprising what you don't know about people. I knew this chap 25 years and didn't know half of what he had accomplished.

You only let people know what you want them to know or what you ask them I suppose. This fella had come through the War - WW2 that is - with two wounds one where the shrapnel was still stuck in him. He never, ever mentioned that to me at all.

Still, it was a good send off and we went back to the house for the drinks and food (does it give everyone something to do? Probably). Met up with a number of people you only ever see at Weddings, Christenings and Funerals. Some people I hadn't seen for 8 years or more.

It is always a leveller to me and one guy and I got talking -I haven't seen him since is wife was taken seriously ill and she was there today - she has a cancer that "just appears" and recently had the 3rd tumour removed. They had no idea that I had had my problems and so it was an interesting and somehow closer conversation.

We remember our friend with great affection and he was an interesting man and full of a sharp, glint in the eye wit. It is a sadder world without him today. However, I can count myself lucky to have know him and shared his company and that I am again reminded of my good fortune as a survivor, I must not squander the second chance I have been given.

Now - I really must set myself up, shake off the seriousness and get ready to go out drinking - and thereby enjoying - my life once again.

No comments: